Tiffin man held after shootings at Carey club

A Tiffin man is under arrest following the shooting deaths of a man and a woman at the Carey Conservation Club Friday night.

According to a release from the Wyandot County Sheriff’s Office, the sheriff’s office had received numerous 911 cell phone calls around 9:23 p.m. advising of an active shooter inside the club, located at 2877 Township Highway 106.

The initial 911 calls had indicated there had been several individuals shot and that the shooter still was active.

When deputies and officers form the Carey Police Department arrived at the scene, they were told the shooter was inside. Law enforcement then went inside and confronted a man brandishing a handgun. The suspect, Richard L. Clark, 65, of rural Tiffin, was taken into custody without further incident, according to the release.

After Clark’s arrest, emergency personnel from Carey, Upper Sandusky and Sycamore, who had been staged nearby, were summoned to the scene. Two shooting victims, Roger E. Fredritz, 49, of rural Carey, and Cynthia L. Hawkinberry, 49, of rural Tiffin, were found inside the club with multiple gunshot wounds. There were pronounced dead at the scene by Wyandot County Coroner Joseph Sberna.

Detective Sgt. Kerwin Wisely said Hawkinberry was the estranged girlfriend of Clark. Wisely said Clark also was familiar with Fredritz.

He said Clark’s previous relationship with Hawkinberry could have been a motive for the shooting, but nothing has been ruled out.

Wisely said about 15 people had been in the private club when the shooting occurred. No one else was injured.

Francis Ritter Jr., a member of the Carey Conservation Club, said he was not at the club at the time of the shooting, but heard about the incident.

“It’s awful,” he said. “It’s a family club, it just awful what happened.”

Ritter, who has been a member for years, said the club often has open trap shooting in the evenings.

According to the release from the sheriff’s office, Clark is currently in the custody of the Wyandot County Sheriff’s Office pending the filing of formal charges, and the incident remained under investigation Saturday.

Attempts to contact the president, vice-president and trustees of Carey Conservation Club were unsuccessful Saturday.