Cigarette butt ignites trailer fire

FOSTORIA – Personnel from two fire departments fought a fire at Pelton Mobile Home Park Saturday evening.

Harry Miller, Bascom Joint Fire District’s chief and an employee of Fostoria Fire Division, said the fire was at Lot 12 of the park, located at 12400 W. Axline St. He said he did not know the owner’s name, and there were people home at the time of the fire.

“They got out OK,” he said.

A Seneca County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman said the fire was reported at 8:30 p.m. Fostoria Fire Division initially fought the fire, and Bascom Joint Fire District also responded.

Miller said a woman was smoking on the porch. She missed a container to put it out, and the cigarette butt fell in between the trailer and a wooden deck, he said.

The fire started between the deck and the underside of the trailer, and insulation, ply board under the trailer and some of the deck burned. Miller, who did not have a damage estimate Saturday night, estimated it took 15 minutes to fight the fire.

He said he thought the family was staying at the residence.

No injuries were reported.