Woman details Fostoria shooting

During her testimony Tuesday afternoon, a Fostoria woman described to a jury a July 28th shooting that seriously injured her and killed her mother.

Thirty-six-year-old Tyeesha Snowden, formerly Tyeesha Ferguson, also told the jury Calvin Dixson was the man who opened fire on her and her mother in a 200-block Bannister Street driveway.

Snowden, Dixson’s estranged girlfriend, said she, her mother and her sister had been sitting in a vehicle in the driveway when she spotted Dixson walk across a field and approach the residence. After recognizing him, Snowden said she told her sister to go lock the door to the house. She and her mother, 50-year-old Lisa Stowers, stayed in the vehicle.

Snowden said Dixson first asked her sister, Danielle Stowers, where Tyeesha was, and then approached the white, two-door Pontiac. Dixson asked Lisa, who was sitting in the front passenger seat, the same question.

Snowden said Dixson then lifted his shirt, said “So you think I’m playing?” and brandished a black pistol. He then opened fire on Lisa.

“After he stopped shooting her, he turned the gun on me and started shooting me,” Snowden said.

Snowden, who still is recovering from seven gunshot wounds she received that day, was wearing a leg cast and upper body brace Tuesday as she testified.

She said bullets hit and shattered her femur, and also hit her stomach, leg, back and buttocks.

Snowden said after the shooting, she saw Dixson turn and quietly walk away. She then attended to her mother. She said the only thing she was able to do was hold up Stowers’ head.

“She was able to say ‘I love you Tyeesha,'” Snowden said.

Snowden said prior to the shooting, Dixson had been communicating with her via texts and phone calls, even though a restraining order had been issued against him in December 2012. Snowden said Dixson, whom she did not see from December until that day, also had constantly been threatening her and her family.

A text message was shown Tuesday by Seneca County Prosecutor Derek DeVine to the jury. It had allegedly been sent from Dixson to Snowden the morning of the shooting and said, “we must all equally suffer.”

Danielle Stowers, Snowden’s sister, who escaped the shooting uninjured, also took the stand Tuesday. She said the women had been in the car smoking marijuana when a man wearing a black hat, a black track jacket with a white zipper, khaki shorts and black shoes approached it in search of Snowden. She said that before she left the car, Snowden said the man was Dixson.

Stowers said she had entered the house when she heard two pops. She then ran out, yelled to call 911 and away from the residence.

Stowers, who later identified Dixson in a police photo line-up, said Tuesday that Dixson was the man who approached the vehicle and opened fire.

During cross-examination Tuesday by Dixson’s attorney, Dean Henry, Stowers told the jury Snowden had shown her a photo of Dixson on a cell phone weeks before the shooting. The photo was of a hotel room where the pair had stayed, she said. She was unsure when the photo had been taken, but said it appeared to have been taken within the last year.

Stowers also said she believed Snowden and Dixson were in a relationship because they were communicating via text, but Snowden wanted to keep it a secret.

In testimony Tuesday, Megan Anello, a crime agent for the Bureau of Criminal Investigation, led the jury through several photographs of evidence. Photos shown to the jury included those of Lisa Stowers’ autopsy, the white Pontiac and the identical 9 millimeter shell casings and projectiles found inside and outside of the car.

Anello, who was called back to Fostoria July 31 to process the pick-up truck and pull-along camper recovered when Dixson was arrested in Cleveland, said a receipt for Gander Mountain, an outdoor retailer, was found in the truck. A black athletic sweatshirt with white stripe down the arms was found in the camper.

Donna Schwesinger, a forensic scientist in the BCI trace evidence unit, also testified Tuesday and said she had tested a pair of khaki shorts taken off of Dixson the day of his arrest for gunshot residue.

She said the shorts tested positive for gunshot residue, but sources other than a gun could have been responsible for the residue.

Others to testify Tuesday included Sgt. Timothy Patton, a Cleveland police officer who was on duty when Dixson was arrested July 29 in an abandoned house in the city, and three Fostoria Police officers. One picked up Dixson from Cleveland after his arrest and the other two officers were called to pick up bullets retrieved from Snowden at the hospital.

An employee of outdoors store Gander Mountain who allegedly sold 9 mm bullets to Dixson July 27 also testified.