Fire destroys Clinton Township house

A mother and her three sons were displaced from their house at 418 Harley St. after a fire Saturday afternoon.

Chief Fred Bishop of Clinton Township Volunteer Fire Department said he believed the house was a loss. A dog, he said, died as a result of the fire.

Bishop identified the owner as Jessica Rohrbach. He said her three sons were with her at the time of the fire, and the family had left about an hour before the fire department was called. The Red Cross was called to offer assistance, he said.

Bishop said when firefighters arrived to the fire scene, there was a lot of smoke, and fire was coming out of the kitchen windows. They got it under control in about 45 minutes, he said.

The chief said the fire started in the kitchen area, and there was a strong possibility an electric candle plugged in in the kitchen is what started the fire.

Bishop said the house was being boarded up and was uninhabitable Saturday night. At least half the house had fire damage, and the rest had heat and smoke damage. Windows were broken out, the electric was shut off and firefighters cut holes in the roof, he said.

Bishop said he did not have a loss estimate Saturday night.

Personnel from Clinton Township Volunteer Fire Department, Tiffin Fire Rescue Division, Seneca County Sheriff’s Office, Tiffin Police Department and Seneca Community Chaplain Corps responded.

Calvert Catholic Schools is accepting donations for the Rohrbachs, who are part of the Calvert community. Donations can be made at the school offices.

Staff Writer Karen Kin contributed to this article.