Mattress fire prompts smoking reminders

A mattress caught fire at an East Tiffin Street residence Monday morning, causing light smoke damage to the house.

According to a release from Fostoria Fire Division, firefighters responded to 314 E. Tiffin St. at 6:10 a.m. for the report of a fire.

Upon arrival, firefighters found a mattress on fire in a lower-level room of the residence. The fire was quickly extinguished and was determined to have been caused from someone smoking around the mattress and leaving discarded cigarettes.

The structure suffered only light smoke damage and no one was injured, according to the release.

Fostoria Fire Division is reminding everyone that smoking in a bedroom is dangerous and proper areas should be identified for those who smoke. A proper ash tray and a fire extinguisher should be located near those areas in the event of an emergency, the release states.

Also, at least one smoke detector should be located on each floor of a home. If a resident can’t afford one, Fostoria Fire Division will supply one with a battery free.