Lightning likely cause of vacant building fire

Tiffin Fire Rescue Division fought a fire at a vacant apartment building Tuesday night.

The fire at 154 S. Monroe St. was reported at 10:18 p.m. Tuesday, according to a fire department report.

Chief William Ennis said it is a large house with four apartments and was undergoing renovation. None of the apartments were occupied, he said.

Ennis said the cause probably is going to be a lightning strike, and the fire started in the attic area.When firefighters arrived at the scene, they found fire going up the outside wall and heavy smoke on the second floor and in the attic.

“It smoldered,” he said.

The primary fire damage was held to the attic, one room on the second floor and an outside wall, he said. A damage estimate was not available Wednesday but Ennis said the house is repairable.

Ennis said the fire was under control in about half an hour, and firefighters were at the scene for slightly more than two hours. An EMS call that happened simultaneously impacted the decision to call in another shift.

No injuries were reported, Ennis said.