Fire started on stove

FOSTORIA – A fire that started in the kitchen of a Berkshire Drive residence caused an estimated $50,000 in damage.

The fire, reported at 722 Berkshire Drive just before 3:45 a.m. Thursday, ignited on the stove in the kitchen and extended through the hood vent and into the attic and roof of the residence, a spokesman from Fostoria Fire Division said. The spokesman believed a resident had been cooking when the fire ignited.

Fire damage was contained to the kitchen and attic space and smoke damage was reported throughout the residence. Property damage is estimated at $35,000 and content damage is estimated at $15,000.

No injuries were reported, and the Red Cross was contacted to assist residents. The spokesman said the damage is repairable. He said firefighters returned to the station at 5:20 a.m. after responding to the residence.