Chief: Fire started in chimney

A fire reported Thursday night at a North US 23 residence was believed to have started in its chimney, Kansas Fire Chief Bob Dible said Friday.

The fire, reported around 9:45 p.m. at 5989 N. US 23, is believed to have originated in the chimney before it spread to the attic of the one-story house and then into the rest of the house, Dible said.

It is still undetermined how the fire started, he said. The State Fire Marshal’s office was contacted to assist in determining the cause.

The house is considered a loss, Dible said, and the resident who was living in the house was assisted by the Red Cross.

Dible said no injuries were reported.

He said Kansas firefighters were assisted by Bradner, Risingsun and West Milgrove fire departments. Bradner EMS also responded to the fire. Firefighters were at the scene until about 2 a.m., he said.

According to reports from the Seneca County Sheriff’s Office, Kansas firefighters were called back to the house Friday morning for a rekindle.